ACEI President’s Award for Excellence in Design (M&E) 2011
Cork University Hospital
Cardiac & Renal Unit
The Association of Consulting Engineers of Ireland has ‘Highly Commended’ J.V. Tierney & Co. and has awarded them the President's Award for Excellence in M&E Design 2011 for the Cork University Hospital's Cardiac & Renal Unit Project.
This development consists of a new Cardiac andRrenal hospital facility at Cork University Hospital. This major development has a floor area in excess of 11,500 m2, spread over six floors and has been constructed on existing CUH grounds. The new unit comprises of 141 inpatient beds, 10 catheterisation laboratory recovery places and 35 renal dialysis places, expanding the existing services available at the CUH site. This new unit will provide treatment, diagnostic and rehabilitation facilities for this southern region. Facilities would include Cardiac inpatient beds/Day places, Coronary Care Unit/Step Down Unit, Out-patients facilities, Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratories and a Non-Invasive Cardiology unit. The new Renal Dialysis Unit will comprise of 35 treatment places including a 30 bed ward, 3 bed high-dependency bays and 2 isolation suites.
Special features for this specialist care unit include:
· Full Computer Modelling for Comfort Assessment and current Building Regulation
Part L compliance.
· Coronary Care Unit/Step Down Unit
· 29 bed Cardiology Ward
· Cardiology Specialist
· 6 bed Intensive Care Unit, 4 No. Intensive Care Isolation Suites
· 20 No. Isolation Suites
· Cardio-Thoracic Ward
· 3 No. Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratories
· 1 No. Electro Physiology Laboratory
· 1 No. MRI Laboratory
· Recovery Areas
· Patient Support, Rehabilitation, Consultation and Counselling Facilities
· Out-Patient Clinics including Heart Failure, Echo-Cardiography and Chest Pain
· 35 bed Renal Unit
· Admin, Consultation, Education & Training facilities
· 2 No. Ultra Clean Ventilation Theatres