27 October 2017
Mill Street Student Accommodation Officially Opened
The new Mill Street Student Accommodation, located in Dublin’s city centre, was officially opened in August. The €41 million development by Global Student Accommodation is located within Dublin’s Liberties with easy access to major university sites such as Trinity College Dublin, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin Business School and the Royal College of Surgeons. There are also plenty of amenities, shops, cafes and bars located within walking distance, with good connections to public transport.
The development comprises of 400 Beds of accommodation, over 50 Clusters of varying sizes (3 Bed to 8 Bed) and single occupancy Studios. ‘Ensuite Cluster Rooms’ feature a double bed, ensuite and shared kitchen facilities. For students who require more privacy and space there are ‘deluxe studio apartments’ which have their own kitchen. Ancillary student accommodation facilities including social space, gym, laundry facilities and a management office are provided as part of the development.
J.V. Tierney & Company provided full Mechanical and Electrical design services for the project, as well as energy rating and sustainable design. The development was designed to achieve a BREEAM rating of ‘Very Good’.
The Client required a modern and efficient building, with an A3 BER energy rating and high standard Air Permeability rating. The services provided under this project include the design and specification of:
- Low Voltage (400v) Electrical Installation
- Energy efficient LED lighting throughout with environmentally sensitive controls/daylight/presence controls
- Fully addressable Fire Detection and Alarm System
- Data and power services provision for Client Server/Comms room
- Lift Installations, including Fire-Fighting Lift
- Centralised Building Energy Management System (BEMS)
- Electronic security control using Prox Cards to operate doors, bedrooms, central services
- Digital Security Closed Circuit Television System with hard disk recording
- Full BIM design
Design of Mechanical & Electrical Services including many low energy and sustainable features:
- BER of A3
- All rooms are naturally lit and ventilated
- High levels of airtightness and insulation
- Material and structure have A and A+ Green Materials Rating
- Energy efficient LED lighting throughout
Congratulations to everyone that was involved in this project!
Irish times photo of the day https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/images-of-the-day-1.3205186#&gid=1&pid=8